Chevron

Sunday, March 8, 2015

Pain Is Beauty


Disclosure: The item(s) mentioned below were provided complimentary for the purpose of an honest review. The opinions stated here are based upon my personal experience with the product(s) and are entirely my own. Regardless, I only recommend products or services that I feel would benefit my readers.

If I have yet to make this clear, let me state for the record that my most favorite things to try out are beauty and skincare related products. I love trying almost anything new, but these kinds of things are at the top of my wishlist. One new-ish beauty trend that started popping up is micro needles. It is basically this mini roller with a ton of itty-bitty needles that you roll across your face. Sounds enticing, right? It may not sound that way to you, but for someone who suffers from acne scarring, I am willing to try anything to get rid of it without needing to pay for pricey dermatologist visits and procedures. I recently tried the Derma Roller System, which is one version of a skin roller or microneedle roller.





The first thing I noticed when I received my Derma Roller System was that the microneedle roller itself was wrapped in a sterile wrap, similar to something you would see in a doctor's office or hospital. As I have learned more about how the Derma Roller System works and is used, I understand why this is so incredibly important. It also came with a face mask for use after the procedure which I thought was very thoughtful and generous. The Derma Roller System comes in a variety of needles sizes which range from .5mm to 2.5mm. Each needle size provides different benefits from it's use. You can see a graph with the sizes and uses found HERE. Because I am looking to reduce the appearance of acne scars, but am still new to this, I went with the 1.0mm Derma Roller System. I was terrified to use it the first time because....well... you are literally rolling several hundred super sharp needles into your skin. It was very important for me to make sure that I was properly prepping my skin, and the roller for this. I washed my face to make sure that all dirt and grime were long gone. I also soaked the roller in rubbing alcohol prior to use to ensure that bacteria would not be pushed into my skin. I feel that sanitary conditions are key to this procedure because you literally are creating open wounds, albeit tiny ones, all over your face. According to the direction you are supposed to run the roller up, down, diagonally to the left and diagonally to the right, up to four times in each direction over the majority of your face. I avoided my eye area while doing this.


While using the Derma Roller System is not the most comfortable thing ever in the world to use, it isn't the most painful either. It feels like you are being poked with something sharp across your face. Which essentially is exactly what is happening. Essentially, the purpose behind this process is to stimulate collagen and elastin production in the skin. This process can be referred to as Collagen Induction Therapy and runs on the premise that the 200 tiny needles on the roller head will create several holes in your face. Your body, n an attempt to heal these holes will create collagen and elastin to fill in those areas, also influencing the look and appearance of fine lines, wrinkles and hyper-pigmentation. 



The Derma Roller System is not somethng that should be used daily, or even weekly. In fact, it was suggested to me to use it every 3-4 weeks to give your skin time to heal and regenerate. At this point, I have only used it one time, so there is no way that I can say whether or not this works or whether it does not work. Each microneedle roller lasts for 3-4 months too, so you are not needing to purchase them regularly. This is a huge bonus because they cost $99.95 a piece. If you purchase them HERE you can currently get one for $49.95! What a deal! I have no clue how long this price will last, so if you are interested, now is the time to give it a shot. They also provide a 60 day money back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose.

Since I have only used this one time I am not going to give it my usual star rating. Once I have used it a number of times and can see if my skin exhibits any differences, I will then be able to confidently provide a star rating. I'm just not comfortable doing so with only one use.

No comments:

Post a Comment

UA-40207773-1